|<PREVIOUS PAGE ~ index ~ NEXT PAGE>|
|33 N. Main St. Bristol, CT|
|another Willimantic Thread card can be found on|
page 192 of the Earl J. Arnold Advertising Card Collection
|Several buildings occupy space now used for parking in this 1991 Google Earth view.|
Mill #4 appears across the river from the main plant.
|By 2002, this Google Earth shot shows the absence of some of the buildings that were present a decade earlier.|
Mill #2 is the main building as featured below on Google Street View. On the hill to the left
of this view is the scar left by Mill #4 which burned to the ground in the mid-1990s.
|from the Libary of Congress, as is the explanation below:|
"Willimantic Linen Company began work on Mill No. 5 shortly before selling out to American Thread Company in 1898. American Thread completed the mill c1900-03 as the one of several brick-pier factories. Part of the power used in Mill No. 5 came from hydropower facilities installed at this time in Mill No. 1 (HAER No. CT-44-A). Although not an individually significant structure, Mill No. 5 has significance as part of the American Thread Company complex, once the largest local employer in the Borough of Willimantic."
What a dramatic day it was when Google Street View visited Willimantic in 2011:
|(Google Street View, above and below)|
|Though the granite of these buildings is substantial,|
it has taken a great deal of community support to preserve this history.
|From Google Maps, a birdseye of Willimantic thread in 2015|
This site includes historical materials that may contain negative stereotypes or language reflecting the culture or language of a particular period or place. These items are presented as part of the historical record, and do not represent or in any way reflect the personal views of the author of this blog, his ancestors, or his family.